email us at email@example.com
It all began back in Alice Sutter’s North Beach living room on Nov. 10, 1958 with 13 dedicated women. Concerned about rapid development on LBI and the disappearance of native trees and shrubs, they called themselves “The Garden Club of Long Beach Island” and set their goals: preservation, conservation and beautification.
Adopting the motto “Watch Us Grow,” the club has done just that for more than half a century. Here’s a look back at some significant milestones.
1960Became a Federated Garden Club of The National Council of State Garden Clubs Inc. 1961First Holiday Tour of Homes 1969First Standard Flower Show 1970 Dedication of the Edith Duff Gwinn Garden in Barnegat Light 1987Incorporated as a Non-profit in the State of New Jersey 1987First Garden Tour 1988First Scholarship Program Established 2001First Official Newsletter Mailed
2004 Beach Haven Library Garden established.
Grounds for Sculpture Trip
Behind the Scenes: Holiday Tour of Homes
Yearbook painting by Pat Morgan.